September 1, 2012

Blast from the Past

After driving past the massive hoardings everyday, this weekend I finally saw the newest production at the Kingdom of Dreams in Gurgaon. I'm so happy to see musicals finding their own niche here in the NCR . . . even if they don't sway too far from the typical Bollywood formula. 
Jhumroo - a tribute to the legendary Kishore Kumar directed by Vikranth Pawar, was far more fun than I expected: beautifully designed sets and lighting, elaborate costumes and supremely energetic dancers all complimenting a pretty creative story line. I believe the two lead actors (Gaurav Gera and Shweta Gulati) have quite a fan following thanks to their TV shows, but I wasn't familiar with their work - and was pleasantly surprised. Some of the scenes were hilarious, some stretched far too long, but overall it was entertaining. Also surprising - how happily people from the audience got up in their seats to dance with the actors . . . I know, we really love filmy music.
I won't ruin the story for those who intend to watch this 'musical comedy', but suffice it to say that if you're a fan of Kishore Kumar, you will not regret making the trek to see Jhumroo.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...